On the web:
- Fed Given Week by Judge to Respond on New Swipe-Fee Rules - Bloomberg - “I’m not going to sit around and do nothing for 60 days,” Leon said.
- Thoughts on Perkstreet's Demise - NetBanker - "My guess is they were done in by the problem that every financial startup faces: It's really, really, really hard to get customers to send money to a web-based startup, especially when there is no immediate short-term gain."
- Braintree Takes On Stripe, PayPal With Debut Of “Marketplace” - TechCrunch - "Payments gateway Braintree is launching a new service today called Marketplace, an API designed for mobile – you guessed it – marketplace operators."
- TaskRabbit Doesn't Want the Headache of Handling Your Money - BusinessWeek - "If a third party stands in between party A and party B who are transacting with one another, then that third party can be exposed to money transfer licensing” laws..."
- Isis: A JV at Odds - Drop Labs (Cherian Abraham) - "So does the launch reflect a maturity in the JV to tackle a national rollout, or is it being forced to show its hands?"
- Florida regulator fines mobile payment system Square - South Florida Business Journal - "The regulator agreed to approve Square’s license in Florida after it paid the fine."
- Why Is the Fed Chairman a Bank Regulator (or an Economist)? - Credit Slips Blog (Adam Levitin) - "But perhaps it's time that we take the technocracy claim seriously and appoint someone with the technocratic bank regulation chops, rather than an economist. Or if we can't do that, then split up the monetary policy and bank regulation posts."
- Dynamics turns credit cards into pocket computers, but it may be too little too late - PandoDaily - "This highly flexible model gives Dynamic an advantage over traditional rewards cards from big banks."
- AvantCredit Raises $20M To Grow Its Machine-Powered Online Lending Platform - TechCrunch - "On the backend we’ve built quite a sophisticated suite of analytics technology that we use to be able to decision on these customers in real-time..."
- NFC could debut in next iPhone, even as Google pulls back - Computerworld - "NFC at the point of sale is stagnant for now in the U.S. and will remain that way until EMV terminals arrive..."
- Mobile wallets reshaping payments industry branding - Mobile Payments Today
On the wires:
- NRF Welcomes Judge’s Demand that Fed Move Quickly on New Debit Swipe Rules - "The National Retail Federation welcomed a federal judge’s insistence today that the Federal Reserve move quickly on issuing new regulations to reduce debit card swipe fees paid by retailers and consumers."
- Discover Debuts Home Equity Loans - "Discover’s growing suite of direct banking products includes credit cards, home loans, private student loans and personal loans, as well as checking, savings and money market accounts."
- SecureNet Payment Systems Launches Mobile PayOS App & Card Reader - "SecureNet’s Mobile PayOS enables business owners with multiple employees and locations to quickly manage, sync and share inventory and business settings across multiple Mobile PayOS devices..."
- Commerce Guys Announces the Addition of Amazon Payments to Commerce Marketplace and Commerce Kickstart
- Commerce Bank Introduces Southern Methodist University Visa Signature® Rewards Credit Card - "The card offers high reward point values and unlimited earnings, as well as no annual fee. Cardholders are able to redeem points for cash, gift cards, merchandise, or travel."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews