On the web:
- New Consensus on Debit Routing Removes EMV Obstacle But Leaves Timing Unclear - Digital Transactions - "No debit card, the announcement says, will be allowed to accommodate more than one solution, an approach that the group says simplifies card issuance as well as merchant acceptance."
- Why I Accepted Executive Director Position for Bitcoin Foundation - Bitcoin Foundation (Jon Matonis) - "One of my primary near-term objectives for the Foundation is to become more inclusive of the various constituencies within the global bitcoin community."
- First Data’s Bisignano Hires JPMorgan Colleague Chiarello - Bloomberg - "Chiarello was CIO of JPMorgan for about five and a half years and held technology roles at New York-based Morgan Stanley for 23 years..." - SEC 8-K Filing
- Accept American Express and JCB with iZettle - iZettle Blog - "Today, we’re very happy to report that you can now accept American Express with your Chip & PIN reader, and JCB cards with both of our card readers!"
- NFC mobile payments: overcoming the barriers for banks - Banking Technology - "The position of MNOs within the value chain also presents a challenge to banks looking to innovate in this area."
- Financial Access 2012 - CGAP - "Using eight years of data (2004–2011) from the IMF’s Financial Access Survey (FAS) in combination with other relevant data, Financial Access 2012 further contributes to measuring and analyzing the current state of financial inclusion."
- Swipe-Fee Battle Moves to States as U.S. Banks Fight Surcharges - Bloomberg - "Under federal law, retailers can still offer discounts for debit or cash even if state law prohibits surcharges."
- Fumbling Through the Fog Around Too Big to Fail - Bloomberg (Simon Johnson) - "In the absence of further legislative instruction, reform is stuck. The regulators could make use of their existing powers to do more, but they won’t. The last three years have taught us this."
- 6 Reasons to Opt for Card-Linked Loyalty Programs - Street Fight - "Here are six reasons why loyalty providers should consider structuring their programs to connect with customer’s credit or debit cards."
- Will the EMV Liability Shift Really Impact Your FI? - TMG Blog - "It will be important for FIs mapping out their EMV strategy to keep ROI expectations low for the first two to three years following the liability shift."
- One in 10 retailers use in-store features in their mobile apps: report - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The ones that have done a good job in the areas of engagement and commerce are the usual suspects like Walgreens, Apple, CVS [and] Target..."
- Visa to launch V.me global digital wallet in Australia before Xmas - TechRadar - ""It's a digital manifestation of what's in your pocket," said Greg Storey, Visa's head of V.me for Asia Pacific, Central Europe, Middle East and Africa."
On the wires:
- TSYS’ Merchant Services Segment Achieves EMV® Payment Processing Certification
- Fallback to Chip Payment Application - The SPA Position - "As the industry suits up for a migration program to this new generation of smart payments cards (and its supported ecosystem), we have all the ingredients for interoperability incidents. And they’ll need to be fixed fast."
- ACI Worldwide Equips Acquirers with Cost-Effective Merchant Management System - "As acquirers struggle to keep up with the high development and maintenance costs needed to run their legacy acquiring systems, ACI Acquirer provides a modern system that supports a range of standard operating systems and delivers reusable, SOA-based business services."
- Blackhawk Network Expands Brand Engagement Opportunities Through Social Platforms - "Customers increasingly turn to social networks to interact with their friends and their favorite brands," said Tim Attinger, Group Vice President at Blackhawk Network. "Blackhawk's APIs enable its retail partners to instantly deliver digital gifts and offers in these emerging social ecosystems."
- Discover Cardmembers Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Gas Stations - "Now through Sept. 30, 2013, Discover cardmembers can sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at gas stations."
- Mobile payments company Ensygnia secures second UK Patent - "Ensygnia, the mobile payments company backed by Telefonica’s technology start-up accelerator Wayra, today confirmed it had been granted its second UK patent."
Upcoming from Glenbrook:
- Summer Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th... Also, an optional half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -