On the web:
- Google Wallet Is Leaking Money - BusinessWeek - "After two years, most consumers still can’t use the app."
- Why Google Is Missing Out on the Mobile-Payments Boom - BusinessWeek - "NFC’s poor take-up represents one of the bigger whiffs by the mobile industry in recent years."
- Visa Doesn't See Big Impact From Retailers Opting Out of Settlement - Wall St. Journal - "Mr. Scharf said it appears roughly 25% of merchants won't participate in the settlement."
- Payments: 'tap and go' is so 2012 - Sydney Morning Herald - "You’ll be able to visualise the prices of items as overlays when you walk through a store and the customer will tap the side of the glasses to make a purchase."
- New York Merchants Sue to Stop Ban on Card-Fee Surcharges - Bloomberg - "Five merchants including a hair salon, ice-cream parlor and liquor store filed a complaint today in federal court in Manhattan demanding that the law be declared unconstitutional."
- China’s romance with Bitcoin continues - CoinDesk - "The country’s increased interest in the currency has shown no signs of abating over the past couple of months…"
- Bitcoin payments could be a landmine for companies - CSO Online - "The problem is in the way the Bitcoin peer-to-peer network works."
- How Bitcoin Lets You Spy on Careless Companies - Wired - "…because all transactions are recorded publicly on the Bitcoin peer-to-peer network, once you know the Bitcoin address of the person you’re paying, it’s possible to track all other payments made to that address."
On the wires:
- NXP and SES Achieve Breakthrough for Mass Adoption of NFC in Retail - "Embedding NFC tags into electronic shelf labels enables retailers to offer a number of different services to brands, from digital marketing and social media integration to personalized cross-selling, up-selling and loyalty schemes."
- INSIDE Secure and CPI Card Group Announce Availability of MasterCard M/Chip Advance in the U.S. - "These new card products give issuers the greatest flexibility in migrating to EMV. One product has been optimized to support online-only EMV card programs, while the other supports both online and offline payment transactions."