On the web:
- The crypto-currency ecosystem - O'Reilly Radar - "Bitcoin is a combination of several innovations, arranged in a novel way: a peer-to-peer network, a proof-of-work algorithm, a distributed timestamped accounting ledger and an elliptic-curve cryptography and key infrastructure."
- Square scraps gift card service less than a year after launch - Reuters - "Square gift cards were a fun way to send gifts from local businesses to anyone over the holiday season..."
- Amazon.com, 7-Eleven Sue Visa and MasterCard Over Fees - Bloomberg - "Once Visa and MasterCard acquired substantial market power over merchants, they maintained it by forcing merchants to pay even higher interchange fees to continue to fund these price-fixing schemes..."
- TrialPay Direct is the only way to ensure optimized revenue for local currency on Facebook - TrialPay Blog - "As the official partner for earned economy for Facebook, we have developed a high quality, holistic mediation layer to optimize these offers across over 400 different developers."
- More Small Businesses Embrace Bitcoin - Wall St. Journal - "A key drawback for merchants using Bitcoin is the risk that the virtual currency could become worthless if it doesn't catch on."
- New Online Tool Launches to Help Consumers Understand the Cost of their Credit Cards - UK Cards Association - "Following a research project undertaken with the Personal Finance Research Centre (PFRC) at The University of Bristol*, The UK Cards Association today announces the launch of a new website - www.cardcosts.org.uk with the objective of helping consumers improve their understanding of their credit card costs."
- Microsoft Turns On Its First Carrier-Billing Deal For The Windows Phone Store With Bango, In Indonesia - TechCrunch - "Bango says that app stores that have carrier billing services implemented tend to have much higher conversion rates for paid services."
- Visa’s mobile money entry in Egypt unlikely to set a trend - HumanIPO - "Networks and card associations are always going to have a battle in that GSM rules dictate that the data on a SIM belongs to the network while the associations are used to yielding much power."
- Paradox in Payments: Fees, Fraud & Fragmentation - ProfitStars (Lee Wetherington) - "Payments are also suffering a season of head-scratching paradox. While we sometimes assume progress is linear, it is often anything but, especially in payments."
- A tale of two bankers - Financial Services Club Blog - "Both bankers are right, and both have a valid view. The trouble is that the former tend to run the bank whilst the latter are trying to."
- What to expect at Bitcoin London 2013 - CoinDesk - "Attendees will learn more about bitcoin as an asset class, the world of decentralised finance and Sveinn Valfells, of Bitcoin Investor, will explain why he believes Iceland should adopt bitcoin as its national currency."
- The DEA Seized Bitcoins In A Silk Road Drug Raid - TechCrunch - "What is fascinating is that the DEA has already moved to cover all of the cryptocurrency bases."
On the wires:
- PayPal, SETI Institute, Buzz Aldrin and Space Leaders Launch PayPal Galactic - See also: https://www.paypal-galactic.com/
- PayPal Galactic Initiative to Tackle Payments in Space - "PayPal is the boundary and currency agnostic platform, regularly used by 128 million people around the globe. We almost single-handedly created the online payment category and can truly say we have helped change the way the world uses money."
- Gokul Rajaram Joins Square as Product Engineering Lead - "Rajaram will lead software development for Square Register, a full point-of-sale system for businesses, and other products. He was most recently the Product Director of Ads at Facebook..."
- APS Simplify Payments for Housing Associations - "Cashplus also offers greater flexibility in the way that payments are made to third parties including bank transfers and Direct Debit."
Upcoming from Glenbrook:
- Summer Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th... Also, an optional half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -