On the web:
- The Future of Money and Bitcoin by Chris Larsen, CEO of OpenCoin - CitizenTekk - "Who will be the Google, Facebook, or Alibaba of the math-based money era? We don't know yet, but we know they're coming. And when they get here, they won't be using ACH."
- iWallet: What Apple left out of its WWDC presentation - Fortune - "Of course, just because Apple patents a technology doesn't mean it will develop it. But at this point the company has amassed quite an arsenal of patents covering mobile payments."
- So, what happens to Passbook in iOS 7? - GigaOm - "If Apple is cooking up such a service, it’s possible there will be a hardware element involved in it."
- Apple Granted Patent for iWallet Parental/Employee Controls - Patently Apple - "The technology which uses Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and likely a little Apple magic, negates the need for NFC which Phil Schiller had stated last September."
- Weve to launch NFC payments in the UK in 2014 - NFC World - "We want to be mass market straight away — which means at least 50 per cent of consumers by the end of next year."
- Regulators Turn Up Heat Over Bank Fees - Wall St. Journal - "The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, in a report set for release Tuesday, plans to criticize the U.S. banking industry for practices that it says range from confusing rules on overdraft fees..."
- Banks Seen as Aid in Fraud Against Older Consumers - New York Times - "Indeed, banks across the country, from some of the largest to smaller regional players, help facilitate billions of dollars of fraud each year…"
- Mobile Wallets: What’s The Value Proposition? - Snarketing 2.0 - "The value proposition of the so-called mobile wallet – whatever that means, considering there’s no consensus on its definition — isn’t clear just yet."
- Google Wallet’s Osama Bedier Confirms That Google Lost Money With Every Transaction. (Good News: It Didn’t Get Many.) - Storefront Backtalk - "…what got short-shrift was finding a way to get shoppers to use its app."
- The continuing battle over interchange fees - Financial Services Club Blog - "In fact, ... Poland has some of the highest interchange fees of any European country…"
- Social Commerce Startup Chirpify to Power In-Stream Credit Card Purchases - AllThingsD - "Previously, the only payment method was PayPal."
- 46 Bitcoin APIs: Bitstamp, Bitcoin Charts Markets and 50BTC - ProgrammableWeb - "Our API directory now includes 46 bitcoin APIs."
- Freicoin’s attempt to free the economy - CoinDesk - "What I realized is that Bitcoin is the most revolutionary technology, I would say ever."
- QR code-enabled virtual stores support merchants’ mobile shopping strategies - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Walmart is one of the retailers that has been a big proponent of leveraging QR codes for virtual shopping."
On the wires:
- Visa and Ethoca Collaborate to Help eCommerce Merchants Reduce Fraud - "Using near real-time information from Visa on confirmed fraud transactions, Ethoca is able to send secure alerts to the affected merchants in the critical 24-72 hour window between when eCommerce orders are placed and when they are fulfilled or shipped…"
- UK Payments Council announces customer guarantee for new current account switch service - "The new service aims to increase competition in banking by making it simpler and hassle-free for customers to switch their current account."
- First Data Releases May 2013 SpendTrend® Analysis - "Dollar volume growth increased 6.0% in May compared to April’s 5.1% growth."
- Text2Pay Now Accepting Bitcoins – The New Social Currency - "Bitcoins are the equivalent of Internet cash. Users can send Bitcoins over the Internet to anyone worldwide with no middle-man or institution to take fees."
Upcoming from Glenbrook:
- Summer Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th... Also, an optional half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -