On the web:
- Google Copies Amazon's Playbook - Wall St. Journal - "Google's moves to copy Amazon underscore how the tech companies are expanding into each other's areas…"
- East Grand Rapids native Ryan McInerney named president of Visa Inc. - MLive - "McInerney, a 1993 graduate of East Grand Rapids High School, had been chief executive of consumer banking at JP Morgan Chase …"
- Bitcoin Hits the Big Time, to the Regret of Some Early Boosters - MIT Technology Review - "We’ve had multiple billionaires come in and talk to us for an hour and open an account…"
- Target, Macy's and Others Sue Visa and MasterCard Over Fees - Wall St. Journal - "The exercise of this market power has led merchants to pay excessive interchange fees..."
- Judge: Unredeemed Borders Gift Cards Are Worthless - NPR - "…the bankrupt and defunct book chain owes nothing to the roughly 17.7 million people who hold $210.5 million in unredeemed gift cards."
- A Summary of the Electronic Payment Order Forum - Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta - "On March 28, 2013, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta hosted an Electronic Payment Order (EPO) Forum with payments industry participants, including banks, nonbank payment service providers, retailers, and regulators."
- Why PayPal is bullish on Bitcoin - Fortune Tech - "The big question is whether it's going to go mainstream or stay limited to just a few zealots and criminals."
- Jamba Juice rolls out mobile payments more broadly following successful pilot - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The number one issue for a restaurant is controlling the guest experience..."
- Square Starts Mobile Payments In Japan, Its First Country Outside Of North America, In Partnership With Visa’s Ally - TechCrunch - "The Square Reader allows businesses to accept credit card payments from mobile devices for a transaction fee of 3.25% per swipe."
- Bitcoin ATMs: Handy Vending Machines or Money-Laundering Nightmares? - Wired - "Regulators aren’t sure what to make of it. And all that makes the future of Bitcoin ATMs as cloudy as it is interesting."
On the wires:
- Square Arrives in Japan - "Square is available in Japan with the support and partnership of Sumitomo Mitsui Card Corporation (SMCC)."
- LIFT and Capital One Join Forces in Million Dollar Commitment to Fight Poverty in the United States
- Virtual Piggy Delivers Security Service to Ease Compliance with Federal Trade Commission Regulations - "We validate the identity of both the parent and the child and can authenticate that the parent has approved the website for use by their child quickly and seamlessly…"