Looking for more payments reading? Checkout our Other Payments and Banking Blogs page for more from the blogosphere about the worlds of payments and banking.
Quote of the week:: From TranSys, the operator of London's Oyster Card system: "The technical problem which affected Oyster readers at London Underground stations has now been resolved and all stations are all fully functional. The problem affected pay as you go users only. Steps are being taken to ensure that this does not happen again and we will undertake a full root cause analysis. TranSys regrets any inconvenience caused to Transport for London’s customers."
- American Express News
- American Express introduced Text MYAMEX - a new mobile service that allows American Express cardholders to learn their account balance on the run. (See more American Express and Mobile Banking news.)
- American Express reported second quarter 2008 financial results - with revenue up 8% but income from continuing operations down 37% vs. the same period last year. Amex revised downward its prior forecast of 4-6% earnings growth - saying "that outlook was based on business and economic conditions in line with, or moderately worse than, January 2008. The environment has weakened significantly since then, particularly during the month of June." (See more American Express news.)
- Bill Payment News
- Contactless Payments News
- ANZ and Visa announced the launch of the first reloadable, prepaid contactless card in Australia. (See more Australia, Contactless Payments and Visa news.)
- MasterCard News
- Mobile Banking News
- Forrester published a new report titled "Consumers Are Apathetic About Mobile Banking" concluding that "online bankers and bill payers are uninterested in the mobile banking pitch." (See more Mobile Banking and Online Banking news.)
- Mobile Money Ventures, the San Francisco-based joint venture of Citi and SK Telecom, announced its first customer implementation with Citibank Hong Kong. According to MMV, Citibank will use the its mobile platform to deliver mobile financial services to its customers in Hong Kong. (See more Mobile Banking and Mobile Money Ventures news.)
- Mobile Payments News
- NACHA News
- Online Banking News
- PayPal News
- PayPal named Darrell MacMullin to the role of country manager of PayPal Canada. (See more Ecommerce Payments and PayPal news.)
- Open Job Listings on PaymentsJobs.com
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Education Offerings
- Glenbrook's Russ Jones will presenting at this year's Direct Response Forum (DRF) on August 12th on the subject of "What We're Watching in Emerging Payments". Russ will also be participating in a round table discussion on best practices in recurring payments on August 13th.
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp - Santa Clara, California - October 15-16
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp - Denver - December 3-4
You can find all of our Weekly Wrap summaries in the Payments News Weekly Wrap Archive. They're published every Saturday and look back at the highlights of the week's news. Please share on how we can improve the Weekly Wrap!