Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Episode 49 – How to Get, and Stay, Smart in Payments - Glenbrook’s Payments on Fire podcast - "Want to know what it takes to stay smart in payments? Take a listen to Russ Jones, the Partner in Charge of Glenbrook’s Payments Boot Camp program. Russ gives a look behind the scenes, talks over the boot camp’s evolution, and how it stays forward looking in what’s become a fast changing industry. Over 13,000 payments professionals have experienced the Payments Boot Camp Russ talks about in this Payments on Fire podcast."
- Amazon to Launch Grocery Pickup Stores in Seattle - Wall Street Journal - "AmazonFresh Pickup will allow customers to choose from thousands of items online and reserve a time for pickup, according to the company. Orders will be ready in as little as 15 minutes, and there is no minimum-order limit. Amazon will select the food, bag it and deliver it to customers’ vehicles."
- Wells Fargo Card Requests Drop by Most Since Scandal Erupted - Bloomberg - "Wells Fargo & Co. said credit-card applications dropped 55 percent in February from a year earlier, the biggest decline since a scandal involving fake accounts erupted in September."
- Payments company Square launches in the U.K., its first European market and fifth globally - Venture Beat - "Mobile payments company Square is finally landing in Europe with the news today that it’s now open for U.K.-based business owners. This launch represents the fifth market for Square, after the U.S., where it has been available since 2010, Canada (2012), Japan (2013), and Australia (2016)."
- Nordea Bank: PSD2 will require banks to adopt a ‘totally new way of viewing their customer base’ - NFC World - "Significant confusion and a high level of fragmentation can be expected over the next five years as European financial institutions become accustomed to new regulations under the Payment Services Directive (PSD2) which will open the door to new competition within the European payment services market, says Nordea Bank’s vice president of strategic business development, transaction banking and business innovation."
- Wells Fargo to add NFC mobile withdrawals to ATMs later this year - NFC World - "Customers of US bank Wells Fargo will be able to withdraw cash from ATMs using an NFC-based mobile payments service such as Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay when the bank rolls out an upgrade across the US “later this year”. "
- Swedish Startup Truecaller Gets Into Mobile Payments in India - Bloomberg - "The caller-ID service and spam-filtering startup announced on Tuesday that users can send and receive money through its smartphone app without passwords or banking codes. The service links bank accounts and sits atop Truecaller’s mobile-identity service, which was the third-most downloaded app in India last year."
- Wal-Mart Reorganizes Tech Group to Strengthen Mobile - Wall Street Journal CIO Journal blog - "Wal-Mart sees the mobile device as the linchpin of a customer experience that blends online and in-store shopping, with the retailer’s mobile app and mobile payments service playing significant roles. One key project under that concept is rethinking how pharmacy customers order and pick up prescriptions, Ms. Tan said."
- Mobile device malware report reveals all-time high in mobile device infections - Payments Cards & Mobile - "The latest Threat Intelligence Report reveals a new all-time high in mobile device malware infections, a sharp increase in compromised smartphones and major IoT device security vulnerabilities."
ON THE WIRES
- Visa and Viewpost to Accelerate Electronic Bill Payments for U.S. Businesses - "Visa Inc. (NYSE:V) and Viewpost®, a secure B2B network for electronic invoicing, payments and real-time cash management, today announced an exclusive partnership to bring electronic business payments to Viewpost’s small to medium-sized business clients (SMBs). By using Visa virtual commercial cards through their participating financial institutions, SMBs will increase automation, convenience and security for their B2B transactions."
- CPI Card Group Highlights End-to-End Solutions & Emerging Payment Technology Innovations at the Smart Card Alliance Payments Summit & ICMA Expo - "CPI Card Group (Nasdaq:PMTS, TSX:PMTS), a global leader in financial and EMV® chip card production and related services, today announced a broad set of activities during the co-located Smart Card Alliance (SCA) Payments Summit and International Card Manufacturing Association (ICMA) 2017 Card Manufacturing & Personalization EXPO, held March 27-30 in Orlando. Event attendees will have the opportunity to experience CPI Card Group’s depth and expertise as a leading end-to-end payment solutions provider, as well as its industry foresight and vision, through speaking sessions, panels and demonstrations at the Company’s booth (#401)."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!