Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- The UN Wants to Adopt Bitcoin And Ethereum – And Soon - Coindesk - "The United Nations (UN) is in the final stages of what could be one of the most epic blockchain projects of all time. After successfully using the ethereum blockchain to transmit Pakistani rupees to 100 people earlier this year, the UN's World Food Program (WFP) is arranging extra security to ensure it safely executes the next stage of its work."
- Social network payments now reach nearly $3 trillion in China - Payments Cards & Mobile - "A new UN study reveals that social network payments through Alipay and WeChat Pay enabled $2.9 trillion in Chinese digital payments in 2016, representing a 20-fold increase in the past four years."
- Retailers’ Call Centers Bring Life to Dead Mall Space - Wall Street Journal - "While retailers look to pare back traditional bricks and mortar retail space, some landlords are looking to repurpose struggling centers by offering portions of them for back-office facilities to support orders placed online."
- UNIONPAY PARTNERS WITH WESTPAC TO EXPAND CARD ACCEPTANCE IN NEW ZEALAND - Cards International - "UnionPay International and Westpac have signed an agreement under which Westpac will accept UnionPay cards at all its ATMs and nearly 1,300 online merchants in New Zealand. The collaboration will further expand UnionPay’s card acceptance in New Zealand. Until now, nearly 80% of the local ATMs accept UnionPay cards in the country."
- Swift Selects Hyperledger Tech For Cross-Border Blockchain Test - Coindesk - "Swift has officially selected Hyperledger's Fabric codebase for use in its most prominent blockchain project. Designed to simplify the nostro-vostro accounts banks held to facilitate international transactions, the trial includes participation from BNP Paribas, BNY Mellon and Wells Fargo, as well as three other global financial institutions."
ON THE WIRES
- BlockChain for U.S. Financial Institutions Now a Reality: eZforex.com, Ripple, and Star One Credit Union Collaborate to Provide the Newest Industry Standard for the United States Banking System: Live International BlockChain Payments - "After one year of development, eZforex, in collaboration with Ripple and Star One Credit Union, was able to deliver live payments to 4 continents on April 10, 2017. Robert Crandall, former CEO of American Airlines, Inc. and an eZforex investor noted, “This is a major step forward. Now all financial institutions, regardless of size, can offer their customers access to the safest, lowest cost funds transfer technology.”"
- Comdata® Launches Comchek® Mobile - "Comdata Inc., a leader in payment innovation, today introduced Comchek® Mobile, an innovative digital platform designed to enhance the simplicity, speed and security of fund transfers between companies and individuals in the trucking industry."
- Russia's Sovcombank Will Use Psychometric Scoring from FICO and EFL to Increase Credit Portfolio - "Russia's Sovcombank is using a new form of credit scoring to attract young people looking for their first credit card. The score, developed by Entrepreneurial Finance Lab (EFL) and marketed by Silicon Valley analytics firm FICO, uses an interactive online assessment to evaluate an individual's credit risk. Sovcombank, a universal bank with more than 2 million customers, is using the score to "gamify" the credit application process."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series will be in Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!