Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Demonetization Roulette: India’s unusual approach to creating a cashless economy - Glenbrook’s Payments Views (Shiv Vadivelalagan) - "On November 8, 2016, India cancelled 86% of its currency in circulation with a four-hour notice and the move pushed India into a severe currency shortage. In a country where 98% of all consumer payments are in cash, this prolonged currency shortage carries risks: economic destabilization in the short term and irrevocable damages to the vibrant informal sector in the long run. Policy analysts describe the situation as the greatest gamble undertaken by modern India."
- E-commerce fraud rates spike 33% in 2016 - Experian blog - "Experian analyzed millions of e-commerce transactions from our 2016 client data to identify fraud attack rates for both shipping and billing locations across the United States. The data reveals the increase of e-commerce attacks in 2016, the geographical differences, and whether a credit card has been stolen or personal credentials have been compromised."
- Transnational Crime and the Developing World - Global Financial Integrity - " The combination of high profits and low risks for perpetrators of transnational crime and the support of a global shadow financial system perpetuate and drive these abuses. The report also emphasizes how transnational crime undermines economies, societies, and governments in developing countries."
- Waze gets into the order-ahead business with Dunkin' Donuts - Chicago Tribune - "On Tuesday, the Google-owned app will start letting drivers purchase coffee and other items from Dunkin' Donuts for pickup along their way. It's the first time that Waze has offered this kind of "order ahead" option, but unlikely to be the last."
- Danish Consumers can now pay with Dankort on their Mobile - Fintech Finance - "Members of the BOKIS banking collective have become the first in Denmark to offer mobile payments using Dankort, the national debit and credit card. Last month the collective launched a digital wallet that allows consumers with an Android device to make contactless mobile payments. Today it is launching a mobile wallet for iPhone and, for the first time, is enabling customers to link their Dankort to their device."
- Bitbond and BitPesa to Simplify Business Financing in Africa - Finance Magnate - "BitBond, a German firm facilitating p2p loans via the bitcoin blockchain, announced today that it is teaming up with payment services provider BitPesa to improve access to financing for small business in Africa. The integration is now live in Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda and Tanzania."
ON THE WIRES
- IBM X-Force Finds Historic Number Of Records Leaked And Vulnerabilities Disclosed In 2016 - "IBM (NYSE: IBM) Security today announced results from the 2017 IBM X-Force Threat Intelligence Index which found the number of records compromised grew a historic 566 percent in 2016 from 600 million to more than 4 billion. These leaked records include data cybercriminals have traditionally targeted like credit cards, passwords and personal health information, but IBM X-Force also noted a shift in cybercriminal strategies. In 2016, a number of significant breaches related to unstructured data such as email archives, business documents, intellectual property and source code were also compromised."
- Blackhawk Network Announces New Incentives Business Name: Hawk Incentives - "Blackhawk Network—a pioneer of gift cards, payments tools and rewards delivered via a robust and convenient network—today announced a new identity for its incentives business: Hawk Incentives. Hawk Incentives is intended to support long-term growth strategies and to create efficiencies improving customer and partner experiences. Additionally, the positioning aligns with Blackhawk's retail and digital consumer business structure called Hawk Commerce, which was announced late last year."
- Revel Announces Integration With Dragontail Algo System at Pizza Expo 2017 - "Revel Systems, a feature-rich business platform transforming the way business is done by integrating all operations and customer channels, driven by the point-of-sale, into a single dashboard, today announced a partnership at Pizza Expo 2017 in Las Vegas with Dragontail Systems, a company revolutionizing the QSR industry through automating technology and artificial intelligence, to implement their Algo System and Camera Cutting Station technology into restaurant and quick service operations."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!