Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Banks, Retailers Take Swipes at Each Other Over Dodd-Frank Fees - Bloomberg - "Six years ago, when President Obama signed the Dodd-Frank Act into law, America’s retailers got a big reduction in the debit-card fees they pay banks. Now, with Donald J. Trump set to take office, they’re preparing for a lobbying fight to defend that legislative victory -- and the billions they’ve saved as a result."
- Alipay expands partnerships to tap Chinese travelers to Europe - Reuters - "Alipay said Tuesday it has partnered with four more financial services providers in Europe, as it looks to tap into Chinese consumers traveling abroad, in a move that could help China's top online payments platform expand its global footprint nearly tenfold."
- Flutterwave aims to unify Africa’s fragmented payment systems and empower small businesses - TechCrunch - "Moneywave isn’t a user-facing tech like Square or Venmo, but an API layer that can be integrated into your business platform, however modest it is. Payments of whatever type or currency — card, bank transfer, e-wallet — enter on one side and come out the other into the bucket of your choice."
- Russian central bank hit by $31m hacks - Finextra - "Russia's central bank says that hackers stole more than two billion rubles (around $31 million) from correspondent accounts this year."
ON THE WIRES
- Mastercard and Wells Fargo Make Sending and Receiving Money Faster, Easier, and More Secure - "Mastercard (NYSE:MA) and Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE:WFC) announced today that Mastercard SendTM is now speeding payments for Wells Fargo Treasury Management and Wells Fargo Merchant Services customers. Mastercard Send™ is a payments service that sends funds quickly and securely to consumers domestically."
- American Express® to Enhance Fraud-Prevention and Security Capabilities With Acquisition of InAuth - "As an extension of the company’s multilayered strategy for fighting fraud, American Express (NYSE:AXP) today announced it has acquired InAuth, Inc., a leading provider of mobile device authentication and intelligence solutions. InAuth’s technology is used by some of the largest financial institutions, banks, payment networks and merchants to reduce risk and help identify potential fraud utilizing its mobile-first device authentication capabilities."
- Mint Introduces Bill Pay, Helping Millions to Never Miss a Bill - "Mint, from Intuit Inc. (Nasdaq: INTU), is adding bill tracking and payment to its free personal finance app to help millions of Americans effortlessly stay on top of bills. New intelligent features send automated reminders, update payment status, and suggest bills to sync based on prior transaction history, with no additional set up needed for existing Mint users. The tools aim to take the work out of bill management by doing what Mint does best: seamlessly integrating data from multiple sources into an actionable picture."
- Information Security Forum Forecasts 2017 Global Security Threat Outlook - ""The pace and scale of information security threats continues to accelerate, endangering the integrity and reputation of trusted organizations. In 2017, we will see increased sophistication in the threat landscape with threats being tailored to their target's weak spots or threats mutating to take account of defenses that have been put in place," said Steve Durbin, Managing Director of the ISF. "Cyberspace is the land of opportunity for hacktivists, terrorists, and criminals motivated to wreak havoc, commit fraud, steal information, or take down corporations and governments. The solution is to prepare for the unknown with an informed threat outlook. Better preparation will provide organizations of all sizes with the flexibility to withstand unexpected, high impact security events.""
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in Palo Alto, CA. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - December 6-7
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Innovation in Payments - December 8
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!